Skip to main content

New Book Sneak Peek

I was in Cincinnati last month to shoot the step-by-step photos for my new book Bead Chic. I think you’re going to enjoy this title. It showcases many wonderful Beadalon products and some really gorgeous beads and findings. I invited an array of well-known industry designers to contribute variation projects, so there’s going to be a lot of eye candy and inspiration. These shoots typically last a week with full eight-hour days of photographing the individual steps that go into creating the jewelry pieces.

My job is to figure out how to break down the steps so that we can shoot them without having to reconstruct the entire design in real time. I create instructions, which I send to the editor before the shoot in electronic files. My editor takes copious notes as we work so we can be sure that the instructions reflect the photos and it’s clear to the reader how to recreate the pieces in the book. The photographer shoots the steps and goes back in digitally to make sure that the shots are clean and easy to navigate. It’s a team effort and it’s a lot of detailed work that requires concentration and focus.

Making a book is an immense amount of work. There are designs to create and rework if requested. There is text to write to accompany the designs and the techniques. There are several rounds of edits of the manuscript. It takes a team to put it all together and bring it to you. I’m really excited about this book and I hope you love it as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it. Big thanks to my editor Julie Hollyday and photographer Christine Polomsky (and my daughter Avalon) for making the shoot such a breeze!

Look for Bead Chic by Margot Potter for North Light Books to debut next summer! I’ll keep you posted!

Bead on with your bad selves,

Margot Potter for Beadalon

www.margotpotter.com

Comments

  1. Just doing tutorials on my blog can be hard work - it takes so much time. I can easily believe that you need a week to put a whole book together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clair it is a ton of work! The nice part is that I have a team when I'm working on a book and when I'm blogging it's just me.

    Best
    Margot

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment