Making French Beaded Flowers is how I got started in earnest in the beading world, and I love revisiting this technique as often as I can. Making a beaded Poinsettia Wreath is a perfect holiday project and once you learn the basics, you can make all kinds of beaded flowers for all occasions! Doing Facebook Live projects lets me take my time and answer individual questions, but we do have a YouTube Video that shows the project without all the extras.
24 GAUGE GREEN ARTISTIC WIRE 24 GAUGE RED ARTISTIC WIRE 24 GAUGE GOLD ARTISTIC WIRE
14 GAUGE COPPER ARTISTIC WIRE
28 GAUGE COPPER ARTISTIC WIRE
Size 11 Seed Beads IN RED, GOLD, GREEN Floral Tape
Tools: BENT CHAIN NOSE PLIERS
NYLON JAW WIRE STRAIGHTENER
SPIN N BEAD QUICK CHANGE TRAYS
SPIN IN BEAD JR.
Make the Center:
1. Use the Spin-n-Bead to string up gold seed beads onto the 24 gauge Gold Artistic Wire.
2. Measure out an inch of beads and turn it into a loop leaving about 6 inches of wire from the end.
3. Turn 10 loops and join them together into a circle.
4. Twist the ends together.
1. Use the Spin-n-Bead to string up red beads onto the 24 gauge Red Artistic Wire.
2. Measure out 1 1/2 inches of beads. Leave about 6 inches from the end, and turn a loop of wire about 4 inches to lock the beads in place.
3. Push the beads toward the end of the wire and wrap it around the beads. Cross the wire at the top at a 45 degree angle and wrap it around the wire.
4. Continue wrapping down the other side and wrap it around the bottom at a 45 degree angle.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have 5 wraps on each side of the center.
6. At the end of the last wrap, twist the wire around the bottom twice and trim it close to the petal.
7. Untwist the loop and snip one end close to the petal.
8. Straighten out the wire.
9. Snip the top wire leaving about 1/4 inch above the petal.
10. Bend the wire down against the back of the petal.
11. Use your fingers to shape it into a curved petal shape.
12. Repeat to make 6 large petals.
Make the 4 Small Petals: Follow the instructions for the Large Petals but use 1 inch of beads for the center. Make the 3 Leaves: Using 24 Gauge Green Artistic Wire and Green Seed Beads, follow the instructions for the Small Petals.
Assemble the Flower:
1. Create a stem with a 10 inch length of the 14 gauge Artistic Wire. Cover it with a stretched out piece of floral tape.
2. Use the 28 gauge Artistic Wire to lash the Center part to the 14 gauge covered wire. Wrap at least three times. Do not cut the 28 gauge wire. Leave it on the spool as you continue to wrap.
3. Add each of the Small Petals to the stem by wrapping each of them 3 times.
4. Add each of the Large Petals to the stem by wrapping each of them 3 times.
5. Add each of the Leaves to the stem by wrapping each of them 3 times.
6. Wrap along the length of the wires several times to lock them in place. Snip the 28 gauge wire.
7. Trim the ends of the wires so they taper nicely against the stem.
8. Use a stretched out piece of floral tape to cover all of the wires.
You can use the flower in all kinds of decorations. I attached it to a store bought wreath with more 24 gauge Artistic Wire and embellished it with a few more decorative pieces. We're going to hang it on the door of the Beadalon Office to welcome visitors during the holidays. Have you made French Beaded Flowers? Will you try it? Let us know in the Jewelry Making with Beadalon Facebook Group!
Until next time, happy beading!Meredith