Some of your favorite beading magazines will soon be featuring a new ad with my necklace design, Spatial Spheres. This is excerpted with permission from my book, Modern Expressions. http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Expressions-Fashionable-Easy---Find/dp/1440306729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289937132&sr=8-1
Spatial Spheres Necklace
• Two 24 mm white round acrylic round beads
• One 18 mm white acrylic round beads
• Two 24 mm turquoise round acrylic round beads
• One 18 mm turqoise round acrylic beads
• Twenty 15 x 7 mm Montana Swarovski Elements Modular beads - article 5150
• Twenty-two 5 mm sparkle silver plated crimp covers - 349B-020
• Two 7 mm sparkle silver plated crimp covers - 349B-026
• Twenty-one 4 mm silver plated crimp covers - 349B-030
• Forty #3 hematite crimp tubes - 305X-133
• Two #4 silver plated crimp tubes - JFCT4S-1.5G
• One 30 ft spool of Beadalon 49 Strand .024" white stringing wire - JW12B-30
• 3 1/2 inches (9 long links) of silver plated oval link 4.3 mm chain - 340B-150
• 3 3/4 inches (12 links) of silver-plated oval link 7.6 mm chain - 340B-130
• Two silver plated links of round Quick Link™ chain - 314B-310
• One large silver plated toggle - 323B-007
• Designer Nipper tool - 202S-001
• Mighty Crimp tool - JTCRIMP-3
1. Insert one jaw of chain nose pliers into the side of an acrylic bead. Push into the bead to open the seam. Repeat this process for all turquoise and white acrylic beads.
2. Attach a large turquoise half to a large white half to make a bicolor acrylic bead. Repeat this process with the remaining large halves and with the small halves.
3. Cut 2 pieces of white stringing wire measuring twenty inches each and set them aside. Cut twenty-one pieces of the same wire measuring 7 inches and set them aside.
4. Use the outer jaw of mighty crimper to gently close twenty-one 4mm sparkle crimp covers and set them aside.
5. String the following onto both large pieces of stringing wires:
sparkle crimp cover + small bicolor, white side first + sparkle crimp cover + two crystal beads + sparkle crimp cover + white metal bead + sparkle crimp cover + two crystal beads + sparkle crimp cover + large bicolor, white side first + sparkle crimp cover + two crystal beads + sparkle crimp cover + white metal bead + sparkle crimp cover + two crystal beads + sparkle crimp cover + large bicolor, turquoise side first + sparkle crimp cover + two crystal beads + sparkle crimp cover + white metal bead.
Repeat this pattern in reverse for the other side of the necklace, omitting the center white. When bicolor beads are strung on, reverse the color that is strung on first.
6. Insert a 7 inch piece of stringing wire through the center of a metal bead. Bring the wire back around to make a full circle and crimp the 2 wires together using a #3 crimp tube.
7. Thread the longer end of the wire back through another hole in the metal bead. Bring the end of the wire through the bead and back around to make a full circle. Crimp the wires together using another #3 crimp tube. Cover one crimp tube with corrugated crimp covers and then trim excess wire.
Repeat this process to add 3 more double-wire circles to the same metal bead.
8. Repeat step 7 with the remaining metal beads.
9. Thread the wires at the end of the necklace through a #4 crimp tube. Slide on a round Quick Link and then thread the wires back through the crimp tube, pulling the quick link tightly against the crimp tube. Use the mighty crimper to crimp, and then cover the tube with a 7mm sparkle crimp cover. Trim excess wire, and then repeat this step on the other side of the necklace.
10. Use chain nose pliers to open a link of large oval chain (7.6mm) and attach onto the quick link. Open a link of small oval chain (4.3mm) and attach onto quick link as well.
11. Open the last oval link of large oval chain (7.6mm) and attach onto half part of silver-plated toggle clasp. Open end link of small oval chain and attach onto end link of large oval chain.
12. Repeat steps 9 to 11 to finish the other side of the necklace.
• Pierced or filigree beads are referred to as "metal beads" in the instructions.
• Eyeball the size of the circles threaded inside of metal beads, just keep making one larger than the other.
• You can replace chains in your necklace with bicolor ribbons.
Beadalon Design Team Member