I created this necklace a couple of years ago to embellish my Halloween costume. It looks intricate but is deceptively simple to make. Find the complete materials and instructions below. Here’s to a positively haunting Halloween!
MATERIALS:• Katiedids™ Creative Components 5-hole round donut #356B-522
• 18 Siam 4mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements bicones
• 15 Siam 4mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements helixes
• 12 jet 6mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements helixes
• Siam 8mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements helix
• Jet 8mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements helix
• Jet 8mm Crystallized™ - Swarovski Elements cube
• 14 red 8mm glass crow (or white heart) beads
• 19 silver 5mm daisy spacers
• 1.5mm black Greek Leather cord #JLEGK1.5BLK-05M
• Clear Supplemax #JN0.15W-F (or beading thread)
• 19 silver medium ball head pins #312B-253
• Silver eye pin #310B-113
• 20-gauge stainless steel wire* #180S-020
• Silver medium lobster clasp #315B-005
• Beading scissors #211A-002
• Round nose pliers #201A-104
• Chain nose pliers #201A-101
• Wire cutters #202A-105
*Alternatively, you can use premade stainless steel coils.
1. Cut one 18" length and fourteen 4" lengths of leather cord.
2. Pass a head pin through a 8mm jet helix and hold it in the center of the donut. Pass the head pin through the holes in the donut and make a wrapped loop above the donut as shown.
3. Cut a 3" length of Supplemax and use it to string 15 Siam 4mm helixes. Place the beaded string inside the channels of the donut, passing the string behind the head pin. Tie the ends in a knot and trim off any extra string.
4. Attach the dangle from Step 2 to the loop on an eye pin. Pass the pin through a jet cube, silver spacer, Siam 8mm helix. Make a wrapped loop and string the pendant onto the center of the 18" leather cord.
5. Fold a 4" piece of leather cord in half and position the fold across the 18" leather cord. Pass the 4" leather cord ends through the fold to tie a lark's head knot. Repeat on the other side of the pendant.
6. On each side of the pendant, alternate red crow beads and leather fringe as shown.
7. Adjust the necklace so the focal section is in the center. Then, cut two 2" pieces of wire and coil them around each end of the focal section to hold it in place.
8. Cut two more 2" piece of wire and coil them around each end of the necklace, forming a loop on the end of each coil. Attach the clasp to one coil.
9. String the following beads onto a head pin: jet 6mm helix, silver spacer, Siam bicone; repeat for six pins.
10. String the following beads onto a head pin: Siam bicone, silver spacer, jet 6mm helix, silver spacer, Siam bicone; repeat for six pins.
11. Make a large basic loop above the beaded section on each head pin, then attach them in an alternating pattern as shown to the center of each lark's head knot (except for the two knots in the center of the necklace).
Katie Hacker for Beadalon
Katiedids™ Creative Components