Crystal Web Collar Necklace
By Margot Potter for Create Your Style with CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements
Here’s a special, spooktacular project for your very own fright night. Beadalon Design Team Member Margot Potter created this crystal spider web necklace especially for Create Your Style with CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements and gave us permission to share it here with you!
This intriguing web of metal and crystal floats around your entire neck in a web of glamour and intrigue. Whether the basis for a Spider Queen costume or a striking seasonal necklace, it’s made from affordable materials that are brought to life with the beauty of CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements and Beadalon wire and findings.
30 6007 7x4mm crystal moonlight CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements beads (you can substitute another small crystal bead if you prefer)
66 5000 3mm jet CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements rounds
72 5000 5mm jet hematite CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements rounds
SS2006 ss12 foiled light Siam CRYSTALLIZED™-Swarovski Elements flat back crystal (you may substitute a 2028 ss12 here)
Remembrance silver finish Beadalon memory wire choker
2 packages silver plated Beadalon small cable chain
3 large Beadalon silver plated swivel lobster clasps
38 6mm Beadalon silver plated jump rings
66 clear Beadalon bead bumpers
44 size 2 Beadalon silver plated crimp tubes
Beadalon 19 strand .024 silver color wire
Beadalon Beading Glue
Round nose pliers
2 pairs chain nose pliers
Memory wire shears
1/16” drill bit and electric or battery operated drill
- Use wire cutters to snip spider off of ring base.
- Use a small drill bit to drill a hole in the top of the spider’s abdomen.
- Attach a red flat back crystal of your choice to the spider’s abdomen using a jeweler’s glue. Allow to dry.
- Create memory wire choker by cutting off a 17” length using your memory wire shears. (Never, ever, ever use regular wire cutters on memory wire, it’s tempered steel and it will become razor sharp.)
- Use round nose pliers to bend one end of memory wire into a loop. (You can adjust the necklace for size, but you will need to increase all of your materials, you can also opt to add more jump rings to the closures.)
- Thread 5mm jet hematite crystals around wire and cut off excess wire leaving a 1/8” tail.
- Bend tail into a loop using your round nose pliers.
- Add a 7” section of silver color wire on every sixth 5mm bead on choker using a flattened crimp tube to secure wire around memory wire base. You should have 11 wire sections hanging from choker.
- Snip off excess wire tail with cutters.
- Place your choker on a flat surface so it is splayed out as you work.
- Slide a bead bumper to approximately 7/8” from top of a wire.
- Add a single 3mm bead.
- Slide the first link in your chain on the wire behind the bead.
- Add a second 3mm bead.
- Add another bead bumper.
- Slide a crimp tube on wire to bottom of bead bumper and smash flat with chain nose pliers.
- When you attach the chain next, make sure it is 2” from the first attached link.
- Continue around the ‘web’ repeating this process until you reach the final strand and cut off excess chain.
- Move down the wire about an inch and repeat the established process working around your web carefully adding bumper, bead, chain link, bumper and bead. For the second two sections, the chain should be 3” in length from attached link to attached link.
- When you reach your final sections on each wire, cut off excess wire from bottom of crimp tube using cutters.
- Attach a swivel lobster clasp to the right side of your memory wire with a jump ring. Attach a second jump ring to the opposite side. This will help secure the web around your neck.
- Move down to first chain section and attach a jump ring to the right side, threading it into the first link in your chain and around the beaded section before attaching your clasp. Add two jump rings to the opposite side using the same jump ring through first chain link process. Repeat for the second chain section. (Leave the bottom section free standing to allow the web to fan around your neck.)
- Attach a 5.5” section of chain between the fourth and the fifth beads to the right of center using a jump ring. Attach the spider to the bottom of the chain using a jump ring.
- Attach a small crystal on a jump ring to the center of each chain swag using a jump ring.
Margot Potter, The Impatient Crafter™
Crystal Web Collar Necklace ©Margot Potter is intended for inspiration only. Not for reproduction or resale.